School Guidance Counselor
Job Description: School Guidance Counselor
Contracted: 10 month employment
Reports To: The Executive Director and Assistant Executive Directors
Qualifications: Master’s Level School Counselor License
Purpose: Sterling Montessori Academy and Charter School is seeking a guidance counselor to provide preventive services and respond to identified student needs to attain an optimum level of personal and social development for all students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Guidance Counselor will adhere to the Sterling mission, vision, guiding principles, code of ethics and standards of behavior as outlined in the Employee Policies and Procedures Handbook.
- Montessori is an approach that values the human spirit and the development of the whole child-physical, social, emotional, and cognitive. When situations or conflicts arise with students, adults act as mediators and provide opportunities for conversations, reflection, and learning. Staff follow the Positive Discipline model and refer to the Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS) when needing to implement supplemental or intensive support.
- Plans the comprehensive school counseling program with the Executive Director.
- Work closely with administration to support the value of education and support the philosophy and vision of Sterling Montessori.
- Accurately and appropriately uses assessment procedures for determining and structuring individual and group counseling services.
- Work with students of various abilities, including those with diagnosed learning differences; may be required to participate in meetings, planning, and training to fully serve each child’s needs. Keep updated and follow student IEP, 504, EL, Behavioral Intervention Plan (BIP), Functional Behavioral Assessment (FBA).
- Respect student confidentiality by not discussing students with anyone other than their families and those faculty and staff members who work with them directly, in accordance with state and federal law.
- Consults and collaborates effectively with parents/guardians, teachers, administrators, and other educational/community resources regarding students with identified concerns and needs.
- Coordinates all counseling services for students and assists with the coordination and implementation of student services in the school.
- Provides individual and group counseling services to meet the developmental, preventive, and remedial needs of students with identified concerns and needs Provides referrals for long-term support when needed and implements an effective follow-up process as needed.
- Maintains current and appropriate resources for education stakeholders.
- Obtain advance approval for all activities to be included into the classrooms or schoolwide.
- Adheres to ethical standards of the counseling profession, abides by the laws, policies, and procedures that govern the school.
Please send a cover letter, resume and three references to Josie Spreher, at email@example.com.